I love chicken fajitas. My favorite is when the vegetables are really nice and caramelized. The best way to get that is to use a cast iron skillet, but if you don’t have one, no big deal. Use what you got! Here is a recipe that is great for the whole family. They have just enough heat to leave your lips a little tingly, but you can always use less crushed red pepper if you are serving little ones. Additional toppings are up to you. I like having black beans, shredded cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and sour cream as additional toppings, but salsa, jalapenos, rice are good options too. It also warms up great for leftovers! I ate some of the leftovers with some baked sweet potatoes and loved it.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken
- 2 TBS Lime Juice
- 4 TBS Nudo Olive Oil (2 for veggies & 2 for chicken)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Bell Peppers (Any Color)
- Cut your chicken into thin slices.
- Add 2 TBS olive oil, lime juice and seasonings into a bowl or large zip lock bag.
- Add chicken, turn to coat and let marinate. (30 min.- 8 hours)
- Cut peppers and onion into thin strips.
- Add to skillet with remaining 2 TBS olive oil and cook until caramelized. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add chicken to skillet, stir and cook until no longer pink in the middle. (Approximately 6-10 minutes depending on thickness of strips)
- Throw veggies back in the skillet with chicken for the last couple minutes to heat back through.
- Spoon into tortillas and add additional desired toppings.