My house doesn’t look like Christmas yet, but it smells like Christmas. Today I made a batch of candied pecans. You know the smell, when you’re walking through the mall and you turn the corner just to get a huge warm whiff of sugar, cinnamon and toasty nuts. Yum! I love that smell and have a hard time resisting it, but those little bags can get pretty pricey. Here is how you can make your own. They make great salad toppers, stocking stuffer treats or gifts for your neighbors. You can use a variety of nuts. In this recipe, I use pecans. The process is really simple, but takes a little over an hour to complete.
WARNING!!! These are super addicting! For this reason, I recommend making a double or triple batch. I am not responsible for any pounds gained in direct result to this recipe.
- 6 oz of pecans
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 TBS vanilla
- 1 small egg white
- Preheat your oven to 250.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add egg white and vanilla. Froth until foamy.
- Add pecans to foamy mixture and stir to coat, then add sugar mixture and stir to coat.
- Spread out evenly on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown (approximately 1 hour), stirring every 15 min. Set your timer!
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.