I love cheese, like really love it. So when I tried this recipe at a friends party, I kept going back for seconds and thirds and knew I had to get the recipe. (Thanks Ally!) I usually just made macaroni and cheese out of a box, but that’s only because I’d never fallen in love with a homemade version. Until now. This is the ultimate comfort food. I made a few minor adjustments. I didn’t have any muenster cheese on hand, so I just subbed it out for a Mexican blend and it was still delicious. But you could also use more sharp cheddar too. And I didn’t have half and half so I made my own with whole milk and heavy cream. It has an awesome blend of flavorful cheeses, a nice creamy texture and can easily be made more grown up with yummy add-ins like bacon, peas, lobster, etc. This makes a great main dish or side and is perfect for kids and adults. Yum. Look at this creamy deliciousness. My mouth is watering. I need some more in my belly now.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 8 Tbs. butter (melted)
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup muenster cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes (I use the store brand & I am extra generous)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add macaroni and the 1 Tbs oil.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain noodles and return to the pot. Set off to side.
- In a small saucepan or microwave, melt 8 Tbs of butter.
- Stir into cooked macaroni noodles.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the shredded cheeses.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheeses, half and half, the cubed Velveeta, the eggs and the seasoned salt and pepper to the cooked noodles.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Dot with remaining 1 Tbs of the butter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown and bubbly.