I have two friends who have made and shared wonderful quiche’s with me. The first one gave me her “super simple” crust recipe and I still messed it up. The second one buys her crust in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. Both were delicious and flakey. I had never made a good crust, so I was determined to find a recipe that was simple and was yummy. Don’t be frustrated if your first one doesn’t turn out. Baking and crusts take time. Mine definitely wasn’t perfectly pretty, but it tasted great and that’s what I care about!
What You Need for Crust:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 T. cold butter cut into small pieces
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or favorite)
5 t. ice cold water (maybe a little more)
1. Put flour & butter into a mixing bowl. Rub/cut in butter to flour until mixture looks crumbly.
2. Add shredded cheese and mix together.
3. Sprinkle cold water over mixture, one teaspoon at a time, stirring gently after each addition. Add just enough water that dough cleanly leaves the side of bowl and forms a ball. Refrigerate for at least 30 min. or until ready for use.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly flour surface & rolling pin. My dough was a little crumbly and I had to add a tiny bit more cold water at this point to keep my ball from falling apart. Do not add too much and do not over work the dough.
5. Gently roll out dough. It will most likely not form a perfect circle and that’s okay. Fill in the gaps with any dough that overlaps. Do not push dough into pan or it will stick to edges more.
6. Take a fork and prick some holes in the bottom of the crust. This helps release moisture and lets the dough cook more evenly.
7. Place in fridge until ready to fill & cook.
What You Need for Filling:
3/4 cup whole milk
1 cup cubed cooked ham
1 cup shredded cheese
Salt & Pepper
Desired veggies (sautéed onions, sweet peppers, arugula, whatever you want)
1. Whisk eggs, milk, salt & pepper together in bowl.
2. Add ham, cheese and sautéed or fresh veggies. (Do not add spinach or arugula yet.)
3. Pour mixture into crust and with whisk, distribute ham & veggies evenly.
4. If you are adding spinach or arugula, do that now, placing on top and gently pushing down until egg mixture partially covers.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is cooked through.
Serve and Enjoy! This crust is buttery and flaky with small crunchy bits of cheese that give it great flavor. It is perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner. Serve it with a side salad and some fruit. Perfect!